Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day #2

I've been going to the same gym since I was 16 years old and until I started working out with my trainer again, I never dared venture out into the co-ed side of the gym. I'd always hide myself away in the women's area. I felt "safe" there, like I wasn't being judged and the range of ages and body types just made me feel more comfortable. However, I realize now that has been one of my biggest downfalls.
I went into the women's area last night to grab a magazine and for a breif moments I stopped to watch the other women. I realized that for most of them, going to the gym means getting on the Treadmill or the Elliptical machine for as long as they possibly can (while chatting on their cell phone, reading a book or talking to a friend) and then they lift light weights (if they lift at all) for fear of getting "bulky". Their main goal is to lose or maintain their weight. Now, I'm not saying this way of working out is bad by any means - I've been doing it for 10 years, but going forward it just won't work for me.
I took my magazine and headed out into the co-ed side of the gym. I climbed up on the rotating Stairmaster and typed in Level 12! Until now I've been maxing out at Level 8 (out of 20) but last night I was determined to push myself to my limits. After the 30 minutes I felt great! I had burned almost 300 calories and was dripping in sweat ... suddenly I felt confident - that I could work out in the co-ed area and not feel intimidated.
I headed over to the free-weight area and immediately planted myself on a flat bench with my notebook, my water and my head phones. I got a few glances from the men in the room but I just smiled and got to work. Over the next 70 minutes, I grunted, huffed and heaved my way through my work out. Every time I picked up a heavier weight I felt more empowered, I would look around at the men out there and think "wanna see something impressive?" The men that I was so scared to be intimidated by have now become my "competition" - being out there with them has given me this inner strength to prove that I can do it!

Food Log (previous day):
  • Breakfast: Bagel Thin w/low fat cream chz & tomato slices - 185 calories
  • Snack: Yoplait Vanilla yogurt - 180 calories
  • Lunch: Chicken burger (no roll), 1 cup mixed greens w/2 tbls low fat ranch - 300 calories
  • Snack: 1/2 medium orange - 50 calories
  • Dinner: 6 oz grilled pork chop, 1/2 medium grilled green pepper, 1/2 cup Spanish rice - 350 calories
  • Water Intake: 72 oz
  • TOTAL: 1065 calories (not nearly enough)

Exercise (previous day):

  • 1/2 hour walk at lunch
  • 30 minutes Rotating Stairmaster at level 12
  • Bicep curls, concentration curls, Preacher curls & hammer curls
  • Tricep extenxion, lying extension, kick-backs & push downs
  • Resistance abs with 4 pound ball

Today is another day - working until 5pm then hitting the gym for chest & back! :)

Stay Strong!
xoxox Raich

No comments:

Post a Comment